Saturday, January 16, 2010

And it was good

Recently I re-read an old book by Madeleine L'Engle.  It's titled And It Was Good: Reflections on Beginnings.  The book is a series of reflections on the book of Genesis, and it was the perfect way to start the new year.  The season of Epiphany in the church calendar begins on Jan. 6, traditionally the day the wise men brought gifts to the baby Jesus.  The season of epiphany lasts for six Sundays, ending with the celebration of the Transfiguration of our Lord and followed by the season of Lent.

The word "epiphany" could be translated into common language as "a light-bulb moment" or an "ah-ha!" moment.  During the season of Epiphany, the church's emphasis is on revelatory moments; times when the people see things as they have not seen them before.  One of the reasons I so like Madeleine L'Engles' writing is that she always challenges me to see or think of things in ways that are different from ways I've seen them before.  My new understandings are not just different, but fuller and richer, and my new understandings invariably stimulate my mind and heart to ask more questions and to think more deeply.

Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment